Can’t stop thinking about a movie? You know, that one movie that you just can’t get out of your head? The one you watch over and over again, sometimes to the point where it’s all you can think about?
If so, don’t worry – you’re not alone. In fact, a lot of people experience this kind of obsession with movies. Every good film leaves behind a residue, an aftertaste. If the film is shot at a level, this aftertaste may persist for more than one day.
But what can we do when the cinema mania takes over our life? How do we get past it and move on?
Well, read my 4 proven tips on how to get over a movie obsession.
How to finish movie obsession.
Can’t stop thinking about a movie.
Sometimes pictures affect us, even if we can’t relate to a situation—great actors, soundtrack, and atmosphere. So we think about it all the time.
Tip: watch this film as often as possible during 1-2 weeks.
Every director wants to make a movie that you’ll be thinking about for weeks. It is the task of any film.
If this picture made such a strong emotional impression on you, both the plot and the heroes must lose their relevance. And therefore, let’s say within a week, review it again and again until it starts to bore you. Then the level of significance will begin to decline.
A film on an important topic for you.
Sometimes a film touches us because it is about a significant topic. In this case, you need to eliminate information hunger.
Tip: do research, and look for information.
Do your research about the movie theme. Watch actors and director interviews, read movie reviews, and look for different movies on the same topic.
It is a great way to educate yourself and have fun. I striated to use this method after I watched Sooting Dogs.
You see your desired life in a movie.
Many films can show us a better life. Travel, an ideal partner, a close-knit family or a dizzying career, a luxury house, or your farm in the outback.
If you can’t stop thinking about the film because you understand you want to change your life – now is a good time to do it!
Tip: find ways to replace the movie’s influence in your life.
A good movie is like a clear mirror in which you can better see yourself. After watching an inspirational picture, you want to change your life. Then do it with baby steps.
Also, cinema therapy could be an exit to personal therapy, which benefits everybody. And it is also a life-changing option.
Movie therapy technique to stop movie obsession.
Sometimes films can engage us in an intense and unique way, but we cannot realize what exactly and why touched us: only fragments of feelings and images reach our consciousness. In this case, some part of us requires awareness and elaboration. Most likely, in addition to identifying with the main character, you also reacted with something of your own and very deep.
Therefore, I offer you one of the cinema therapy techniques, especially for this occasion.
Please be attentive and careful with yourself if the awareness is too traumatic. Then, stop, or seek support from a loved one or professional therapist.
That technique has eight small steps. Let’s do it!
1. Remember the film that left behind a solid incomprehensible feeling you experienced for a long time. These experiences spoiled or, on the contrary, greatly improved your mood, but you could not understand why the picture touched you so profoundly.
2. Now concentrate on this movie and actualize those feelings that you had after watching it. Rewatch the episode if needed.
3. If you managed to revive the feeling, now imagine them in the form of some animal or magical creature.
What kind of animal is that? Is it real or fictional? Imagine in detail what kind of ears, nose, and eyes he has. What it does, how it behaves.
4. And now back to the movie. Remember to which heroes does this animal react most sharply. Who for him is a figure in the background, who is essential, who causes a reaction? What does this character do or not do that the animal reacts to him in such a way?
5. How does the animal feel when it is near the hero? What does it need? What does it want or not want? Does he need help, and if so, what kind?
6. Now answer the questions: What connects you with an animal? How are you similar to it? How do your life and experience relate to the character or characters that your animal reacted to? What is it like in your life?
7 When you have found something in common with your animal, think about what you want to do for yourself in connection with this realization. What is essential to do in this situation?
8. And now, based on the experience and awareness gained in the exercise, formulate in one sentence the message to yourself the first thing that comes to mind. How to express the message of your animal to you in one sentence?
This exercise will help you overcome movie passion and learn something new about yourself. Plus, it is an excellent way for self-reflection.
Do you have a lot of films that you remember? Have you tried to ponder what hooked you in this film?
Share this blog post if you enjoyed this list of movies about motherhood. I would really appreciate it!
niaJuly 14, 2022 at 10:46 pm
I like the idea of understanding the movie’s significance so that you can replace it consuming your thoughts!